My Blog List

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Why I Play Go, Part 1

There are enough Go blogs out there that I don't know what to write about specifically, so I'll just start with some posts about how I first began to learn the game.

I first heard of Go by its Chinese name, weiqi, in David Wingrove's Chung Kuo novels (set in a dystopian future where China rules the world). In the summer of 2003, I decided I wanted to learn how to play, and checked out Janice Kim's Learn To Play Go series from the Berkeley library. After reading those four books, I thought I had learned enough to be pretty good. This was before I'd even played a single game. Shortly thereafter I found out about the Berkeley Go Club, and decided to pay them a visit so I could show off my awesome skills.

I'm sure people can guess what happened next.... (hint: Part 2 of this series will be titled "Getting beat down by an 8 year old girl")

No comments:

Post a Comment