My Blog List

Saturday, July 30, 2011

2011 US Go Congress: Start!

The 2011 US Go Congress started today, with something like 500 attendees (Go players, their friends/families, and Go professionals/teachers) gathering at UC Santa Barbara for a week of tournaments, lectures, and other activities.

I drove down with Jay from the Bay Area; this will be my third Congress. I hope to blog each day and take pictures, but we'll see how much energy I have after the US Open rounds each day.

Not much to report the first day, as it's dedicated to getting everyone registered, but there was a 9x9 tournament in the evening as a kind of warm-up for the main event starting tomorrow. (The aforementioned US Open is all 19x19 games, six rounds, one round a day for the next week) It was round-robin tables of six players each, so everyone in each table played five games, and the one with the best win-loss record advances to play the other table winners in knockout rounds throughout this week. I went 4-1, but my loss was against Henry, who also went 4-1 and therefore won the tiebreaker to advance. I'm still happy I played well, and it was pretty fun in any case. Looking forward to tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment